You are here:
Home > Services & Supports > Adult Services > Cleveland Crops
Growing in so many ways
Cleveland is one of the leading urban farming locations in the entire country, and the Cuyahoga County Board of Developmental Disabilities and SAW, Inc. are a big part of that movement.
Cleveland Crops, founded in 2010 with the establishment of Stanard Farm in the St. Clair-Superior area of Cleveland, is a joint project of the two partner organizations. It has quickly grown to include urban farming sites in Ohio City, Willard Park downtown, East 105th Street and East 107th Street, South Euclid, Seven Hills, Parma and Olmsted Township. The long-term vision is to have as many as 10 properties of one acre or more throughout the county as well as greenhouses for year-round growing and a processing center.
Why urban farming? As manufacturing, one of the traditional sources of employment opportunities for people with developmental disabilities, has declined in the region, farming represents a new source of employment opportunities. There is a strong demand for locally-grown food among consumers and local restraunteurs.
And it’s good for the community as unused urban landscape is transformed into beautiful, productive land!
Other partners in the effort include the Ohio State University Extension Service, municipal leaders, development corporations and dozens of volunteers.
In 2013, we will operate farms at the following locations:
- Stanard Farm, 5342 Stanard Ave., Cleveland
- Ohio City, 1795 West 25th St., Cleveland (Check out this photo taken at our Ohio City Farm by The Plain Dealer.)
- Heritage Farm, 1386 East 105th St., near the Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland
- Free Stamp Garden, 601 Lakeside Ave. East, next to Cleveland City Hall
- Spring Hill Farm, 4549 Hillside Dr., Seven Hills
- Schady Road Farm, 27180 Schady Road, Olmsted Township
- South Euclid Garden, 1597 Green Road, South Euclid
- Parma Stearns Farm, at Regency Drive and Randolph Drive, the Stearns Homestead, Parma
For even more information, read about us in The Plain Dealer.