How do I become eligible for services?

Cuyahoga DD staff are available to help you through each step of the eligibility process. You can begin this process by completing the online Application for Services or call 216-736-2673. Click here to learn more about eligibility for services.


Does my income affect eligibility for services?

No. Income is not considered for eligibility for services. Unlike some government programs, such as Food Stamps, County Boards of DD exist to support people with developmental disabilities of all ages, without regard to income.


Does my eligibility for Cuyahoga DD services affect other public benefits I receive, like Medicaid or Social Security?

No, applying for Cuyahoga DD will not affect public benefits like Medicaid and Social Security because Cuyahoga DD does not give funds directly to individuals or families. Rather, Cuyahoga DD gives funds to service providers who directly support eligible individuals. Learn more.


Can I apply for services on behalf of someone else?

Yes, you may apply for services on behalf of someone else. When we receive the application, we will review it and reach out to the family. If we cannot connect with the family, we cannot process the application. You will need to coordinate with the family to receive information on the status of the application and where the individual is in the eligibility process.  Please refer to our Tips for Applying on Someone Else's Behalf for more information.

I used to receive services in the past. My needs have changed and I need help. What do I do?

Cuyahoga DD is glad to help start services again. This may involve helping you with a redetermination for services, which occur at ages 3, 6 and 16. Simply call 216-736-2673 or send us an EMAIL.


Do I need to get on a waiting list for a waiver?

No. County Boards of DD do not maintain a waiting list for waivers. Instead, waivers are allocated based on a person’s immediate needs. A common tool is used to assess a person’s needs. Based on the results, you may receive services or supports funded by a waiver or through local funding or even through resources and services available in the community.


I need help finding a job, keeping my job or getting a better job. Can you help me?

Yes. Support Administrators can help you with your employment goals. Simply call 216-736-2673 or send us an EMAIL.


I have a very young child who has developmental needs. What do you offer families with young children?

Cuyahoga DD’s Early Intervention (EI) program provides services to children age birth through two who have either a developmental disability or a developmental delay. Through a team approach, Cuyahoga DD partners with Bright Beginnings to determine goals for the child and the best strategies to achieve these goals. Click here to learn more about Early Intervention services.


Can you help me find a provider (caregiver)?

If you are receiving services funded by a Medicaid Waiver, your Support Administrator (SA) will help you find a provider and will assist in monitoring the services you receive from the provider. If you are looking for a provider on your own, ProviderGuidePlus is an online tool that lets you look up providers by types of services. You can also read reviews by families who have used that provider.


Can I participate in the Family Supports Program?

It depends. The Family Supports Program is only available to persons eligible for Cuyahoga DD services and are not enrolled on a Medicaid waiver. Individuals who reside in an ICF and those in foster care are not eligible. There is no income requirement. Eligible people qualify for at least $750 and up to $1,500 per year. Click here to learn more about the Family Supports Program and to apply.

If you have a Support Administrator (SA), you may be eligible for similar services; please contact them to discuss your planning needs.

What is an Intermediate Care Facility (ICF)

ICFs are Medicaid funded facilities that offer a bundled service package to support people who need a high level of supports. These services include, but are not limited to, help with basic daily living skills (eating, dressing, hygiene, taking medications, etc.), day or employment services, nursing, or other services like speech, occupational therapy (OP) and physical therapy (PT).

Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities Online ICF Search Tool

Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities Electronic ICF Informational Booklet


What do I do if I need help and your office is closed?

If your situation requires immediate attention from the police, the fire department or an ambulance, call 911. If you are experiencing another type of situation and need help, call the Cuyahoga DD after hours number at 216-694-7077. Someone is always available to help during non-business hours, including weekends and all holidays.